Community Poverty Reduction Summit
The Dufferin County Poverty Reduction Task Force (DCPRTF) invites you to learn more about poverty in Dufferin County and how we can work together to reduce its impact.
When: Wednesday, January 17, 2018 – 3:00 pm to 8:00 pm
Where: Salvation Army New Hope Church, 690 Riddell Road, Orangeville, ON L9W 5G5
How Much: Free – pre-registration required – we’re fully booked for this event – please email us and we’ll add you to the wait list / cancellation list.
Food: Refreshments and light supper provided
A community summit to raise awareness about the extent and impact of poverty in Dufferin County, and share information about poverty reduction efforts nationally, provincially and in Dufferin County.
Registration will open at 2:30, coffee and light snacks, networking
Welcome and Set-up
- Opening remarks & Forum overview – Elaine Capes, DC MOVES Coordinator
- Community Welcome – Paul Mills, Warden for Dufferin County
- Personal story – Darren White, Mayor of Melancthon Township
DC MOVES Overview & Update – Elaine Capes, DC MOVES Coordinator
An Example of Community Collaboration: “Working Together in Dufferin” – Earl Phillips, Project Coordinator, SHIP
Panel #1 – Reality Check on Poverty
- Federal PRS perspective – presenter – Darryl Wolk, Policy Analyst, Ontario Municipal Social Service Assoc., OMSSA
- Provincial PRS perspective – presenter – Katharina Wolff, Manager Evaluation & Business Planning, PR Strategy Branch
- Dufferin County perspective – presenter – Kurtis Krepps, Ontario Works Manager, Dufferin County
Panel #2 – Co-relates of Poverty in Dufferin County
- Disabilities (ODSP) – Community Living Dufferin – Cindy Harris
- Mental health issues – Tim Smith, CMHA
- Seniors – Katherine Johnson , Tele Check
- Precarious employment – Valencia Gaspard, University of Guelph PhD student
Light supper – Keynote speaker – Keith Palmer – Income Security Reform
Panel #3 – Supports to Lift People out of Poverty
- Orangeville Food Bank – Heather Hayes
- Homelessness Prevention Program – Adriana Bell
- Choices Youth Shelter – Nevada Roberts
- Family Transition Place – Janice Glassford
Closing Remarks – Pamela Parker-Follick, Dufferin County Citizen
Wrap-up – Geoff Dunlop, Dufferin County Councillor
Presentation to The Lighthouse and The Salvation Army
This report presents a strategic framework to guide the work of the Dufferin County Poverty Reduction Task Force over the coming years.